I was thinking about Lacey and something hit me, which then made me think about some episodes from Season 3. We all know there were 2 different actors to play Robin Hood and that really no explanation was given for why and THIS hit me…
The man from Lacey…HE never actually says HE is Robin Hood in the episode!
1. The Sheriff of Nottingham, without seeing who Rumpelstiltskin is looking for, and going solely off the bow that Rumple takes with him, claims that the man who owns that bow is Robin Hood. And, because Rumple has the bow, assumes that the owner is the same man Rumple is looking for. (It could have been stolen from Robin.)
2. Marian, when she sees the man after being healed, DOESN’T call him Robin. HE calls HER Marian, but not the other way around.
3. The man that broke into Rumple’s castle, NEVER gave his name as Robin Hood. He never said that HE never misses when he fires an arrow, just that the BOW never misses. (Robin in season 3, tends to claim HE never misses).
4. The writers, from the start (it seems) KNEW Robin Hood would be Regina’s soulmate, that HE would be the man with the Lion Tattoo. Yet (in the picture above) he does NOT have the tattoo. (apologies for the low quality/darkness of the picture. But if you watch the episode carefully, no sign of the black tattoo). So it seems like a very odd thing for them NOT to have given this man a tattoo like that, especially when we know that Robin’s had it since BEFORE Regina was the Evil Queen. Unless…
Is it possible…this man isn’t actually Robin Hood?
To add more, from season 3:
1. When Robin meets Belle, she recognizes him despite his new face. He never specifically says he knows her because of being captured or tortured by Rumple. He implies she treated him well and helped him, but he doesn’t specifically say that it was in stealing the wand.
2. When Robin meets Neal, he ONLY says that he had a run in with Rumple, that it was ‘touch and go,’ and that the man spared his life. Again, he NEVER says that it was because of the wand.
3. When discussing the Dark One’s castle, Robin says that he broke in once before, implying while Rumple was there, but never specifies when. It could also mean just because he’d lived in the Dark One’s castle for a time though as well.
4. HOW did Robin get HIS bow back if the man who stole the wand left it behind? What if…THAT was why he broke into the castle? What if Robin broke in to get his bow back and THAT is when HE meets Rumple and Belle? He may know, when Marian gets well again, that the Dark One was the reason, perhaps if the man said that HE made a deal for Marian Robin would be more ok with it as HE wouldn’t have to pay the price for it (or believe he wouldn’t.)
Now…for what this means for Outlaw Queen, and I’m going to guess that, at least some viewers, are fans of the classic Robin/Marian legend/story, so I may get some negative responses to this but hear me out for this implication of Marian’s character…
What if this man above really ISN’T Robin? What if this man is someone that Marian had an affair with? OR, at the very least, a man that loved her and that she loved, but she was married to Robin. What if this was…Guy of Gisbourne or something?
It is POSSIBLE that, while Robin was elsewhere, this man stole Robin’s bow and broke into Rumple’s castle to heal Marian. Robin could have been off trying to get another cure while this man went to get the wand from Rumple. As Robin said a few times, he didn’t care for magic, so what if he was looking for herbs while this desperate man turned to magic instead? What if, if Marian died because of the magic that saved her, Robin kicked this other man out of the group and blamed him/magic for it? (He does state in The Tower, that Marian died, not that he lost her, but that she died and, given how he rarely speaks of Will and kicking him out, perhaps it was the same for the man? If something went horribly wrong during a job, so wrong that it appeared almost like say an arrow was magically aimed/found its way to Marian and only her, Robin might assume it was a result of the ‘price of magic’ or something while also blaming himself.)
I am NOT saying this to ‘disgrace’ Marian or to villainize her as I am implying an ‘affair,’ I’m only saying that it IS possible, it is 1 possibility, that Marian, in this show, might have loved another man while married to Robin. It wouldn’t be the first time that other ‘good’ characters were in a similar situation. If we could see Leopold do that to Regina, marry her while he was still in love with his first wife, (at a stretch) if we could see David stay in a marriage with Kathryn even though he was in love with Mary Margaret, isn’t it also possible that the pious and good Marian MIGHT have loved another man while married to Robin?
I am not saying that Roland isn’t Robin’s (though that COULD be possible…if not for those dimples lol). I’m just saying…
What if this wasn’t Robin? What if this is one of his Merry Men or another character from the legend? What if this all happened behind Robin’s back? It would explain 2 different actors, it would explain no reason given for 2 Robins (if one wasn’t Robin), it would explain the lack of tattoo, and it WOULD give Outlaw Queen a way to work if Marian loved another man just like Robin loves another woman.
I know that the credits/IMDB list the actor as Robin, but if we focus JUST on the show, he never actually was introduced AS Robin Hood. It was an assumption by the Sheriff of who Rumple was after ;)
Equally, this wouldn’t be the first time an actor was listed as 1 thing only for it to be revealed in a later episode that he’s actually something else. For Doctor Who in the Series 7 finale (pre-specials) John Hurt was listed as ‘The Doctor’ in credits for ‘The Name of the Doctor,’ but we learned later, in Night of the Doctor, that was really credited as being ‘the War Doctor’ which was all done in the last episode so as not to give away who he REALLY was in the specials ;)
Just throwing out a theory ;)
(If I’m wrong about anything, if there’s a specific line in the show that clearly counters this, that Robin broke into the castle for the wand or anything, just let me know and I’ll amend accordingly or give my thought/interpretation of it ;))